Part D (Prescription Drug Coverage)
Medicare’s Prescription drug coverage. Medicare Parts A and B do no cover most prescriptions. However, drug coverage is available to everyone in Medicare by enrolling in a stand alone Part D plan or MAPD.
Limits on the coverage of prescription drug plans:
Over 43 million Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in Part D prescription drug plans. Even with the coverage these plans provide, there are certain limits, including:
What drugs are covered?
Each plan has a list of the specific drugs they will cover. This list is called the plan’s formulary.
What you pay for a drug that is covered?
Many plans classify the drugs they cover by levels of cost, called drug coverage tiers. Generally, the lower the tier a drug is in, the lower your ost wuill be. Drugs in a higher tier will usually have a higher cost to you.
Phases of Part D Prescription Drug Coverage:
Your cost of prescriptions changes as you move through the various phases of prescription drug coverage.
Selecting a Prescription Plan
Higher or lower deductible
Medicare prescription drug plans may charge additional premiums in addition to Part B premiums. Plans may include higher or lower deductible options that should be chosen based on overall health and how often you plan to use your insurance.
Note: If you join a Medicare Advantage (MA) Plan with prescription drug coverage, its monthly premium may include an amount for drug coverage.
Higher Deductible Plans
Often provide lower premiums but will cost more before the insurance kicks in.
A higher deductible health plan might be right for you if:
- You only have occasional medical emergencies
- You’re healthy
- you can afford to pay your deductible up front
Lower Deductible Plans
Make monthly health expenses easier to predict. Despite higher monthly premiums, they may save you monthly in the long run.
A lower deductible health plan might be right for you if:
- You depend heavily on the healthcare system
- You take expensive prescription medications
- You have a chronic condition or see a doctor often
📞Schedule a CallFree
Extra Help paying for your medications 🤝
People on Medicare who need help paying for their prescription drug costs may be eligible to receive a low-income subsidy (also known as LIS or Extra Help). About 1 in 3 people on Medicare currently receive subsidy.
The benefits of Extra help
- Currently pay $3.70 for generic and $9.20 for brand-name drugs.
- Have no “Donut Hole” in their Part D coverage.
- May receive full or partial subsidies on premiums.
Are you eligible for Extra Help?
To find out, there are three ways to apply:
💻 Online at www.socialsecurity.gov/extrahelp
📞 Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)
🏢 In person at your local Social Security Office.
Choosing a Medicare Drug Plan: Considerations
Medicare drug plans are not all the same, and there are many options available. Here are some steps to complete before selecting your plan.
- Monthly Premiums: Consider the monthly costs of each plan before making your selection.
- Deductibles: Choose whether you want a higher or lower deductible plan.
- Co-pay / Co-insurance: Find out how much you will pay for hospital stays, doctor visits, and prescription drugs.
- Formulary: Most drug plans have a formulary, a list of drugs that the pan covers. Plans ay have rules-or tiers-about coverage for different drugs on their formulary.
- Drug restrictions: When researching different drug plans, ask about any drug restrictions or limits in coverage. This will help ensure you are choosing the best possible option for your needs.
- In Network doctors and hospitals: In some plans you may need to visit only in network doctors and hospitals to get covered services.
- Preferred pharmacies: Drug plans work with some but not necessarily all pharmacies in an area. These are called in-network pharmacies. Within the network, your drug plan may have a list of preferred pharmacies where you can get the best discount.
- Mail order options for prescription drugs: most drug plans include this option, but each drug plan differs slightly.
👍 Customer Service
- Quality ratings / reviews: Customer reviews for each plan can be helpful in determining the best rated plans. You can always ask us about the ratings for the plans.